Friday, February 02, 2007

I am stunned

Something just isn't right here, Washington State sweeping Arizona. What is the source of the problem? No one outside the locker room can know for sure, but here are a few theories:

1. Chemistry - these guys seem to enjoy playing with each other, and do share the ball quite a bit. But when faced with adversity, the tendency for these immensely talented players is to force the action. When they need each other the most, Arizona's players revert to a me-first style of play.

2. Coaching - I really doubt this is the source of Arizona's woes over the past four weeks or so, and Lute Olson has always said he will give up coaching when he longer has a passion for teaching or his health fails. I think the guy has earned the benefit of the doubt.

3. Intensity - I can only speak for what I saw on television, but Mustafa Shakur has enough heart to go around. However, overall intensity as a unit lacks in certain areas...

4. Defense - Bingo. Arizona has failed again and again at playing team defense when it matters the most. How Olson has let this go for so long, I am not sure. But this is for certain: Unless the Wildcats start playing defense with some intensity, and a sense of desperation, an invitation the NCAA Tournament is not a sure thing.

But, as the ever optimistic observer that I am, I am still excited about what this team can do. The first half of last night's game against the Cougars was littered with easy buckets in the paint as a result of good screens, and movement without the basketball. If Arizona can continue to do that, and their shots start falling, I think this team becomes very dangerous come March. And as I have said, and will continue to say, all these guys need is a little confidence.

1 Comments:

Blogger Marc Burns said...

Your theories do not account for the fact that WSU is a really good basketball team -- good luck against washington tomorrow
cougfan 85

11:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home